Tuesday 25 November 2008

The Greatest Lesson I Ever Learned - Tom Treseder

As I entered full-time ministry in 1995 I read a book compiled by Dr Bill Bright entitled, "The Greatest Lesson I Ever Learned". It was a collection of stories from Christian leaders. It inspired me to ask various Christian leaders in Australia that I knew (or, mostly, knew of) for their story. These have been sitting in my computer for 10 years waiting for publication, but I didn't collect enough to warrant publishing them. So, I am now posting them as blogs so the stories can get out there. I trust you enjoy them as much as I do.

Geoff

Tom Treseder

Tom Treseder (was) State Director of the Bible Society in Australia (NSW). This responsibility has the dual thrust of providing Scriptures to the people of Australia and the world.

He has ministered in many countries in: Europe, Asia/Pacific, Middle East and the Americas.

Tom had an itinerant evangelistic ministry with an accompany team over a period of 20 years.

He is a diocesan Lay Reader Emeritus with the Anglican Church.

He preaches Sunday by Sunday in a wide range of pulpits and has a strong evangelistic ministry to men and couples.

He is on the advisory board of the Muslim Awareness Fellowship. Founding member of Fellowship of Christian Sportsmen. Member of the Olympic 2000 Network.

His industrial design profession and his creative gifts have opened many doors of opportunity to find new ways to get God's Word into the hands and hearts of people worldwide.

He is seen as an encourager and a releaser of gifts in other people.

He is a man of The Book.

INSPIRED BY MEN AND THE BOOK

He was an attractive man to me and I waited my chance to speak with him.

Dr. Paul White, known globally as; The Jungle Doctor, was showing slides of his pioneering missionary work in Tanganyika.

This dynamic, ground breaking ministry was, in my teenage eyes, only equalled by his gaining his University blue as a middle distance runner.

I had blurted out my desire, as a Christian, to be; a good designer, leader, friend, and a world champion rower/sculler.

Fixing his eyes upon me he said, "let me give you a prescription",

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5,6)

This beautiful, humble man's dedication and achievements, continued to inspire me right through until his death.

So too, God's Word had been unlocked as a constant source of inspiration and practical know how, applicable to the daily affairs of my teenage life.

When the inner battle raged over my Sunday rowing and my eventual submission to not row, God gave me that mighty verse;

"My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus"
(Philippians 4:19)

Within two weeks, I was sitting in a beautiful, cedar sculling boat. A man had been "moved" to give me this $10,500 gift.

My training schedule changed to five nights and Saturday and has remained that way ever since.

It was later when I had excelled somewhat, that I was given the opportunity to row in the Olympic trials for eights.

It would mean rowing on Sunday.

However, the very day I needed to make the decision, a dear Sunday school teacher sent me an encouraging letter. The crux of it was the verse made famous by Eric Liddell of the film, Chariots of Fire; "He that honours me, I will honour". This too has dramatically marked my life.

Many people felt I had "lost out" by my stand and therefore never having the opportunity to become Olympic or World Champion. However, not just in sport but also in my design profession, and as a husband and father, God has continued to work out these verses in my life.

The secret has been to be obedient to His leading and be whatever He wants me to be. He means what He says, "He is no man's debtor". There is no sense of loss, only benefits.

So, there is a hope and energy generated through: reading, soaking in God's Word and letting Him work out its message in my life.

I am also given increased determination to "hang in there", when life's pressures threaten to crush and overwhelm me. The fact that He has made me His own, a new person, filled with His Spirit, linked inseparably to Him, a Son of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, is releasing, humbling - yet powerful. To read of other sinful men like: Nehemiah, Gideon, David, Abraham, Daniel and yet see how God in His graciousness, touched and used them, produces fresh enthusiasm and sparkle to my life.

To learn how God worked through them, to accomplish what can only be described as miraculous achievements, is motivational stuff of the highest order.

God has used these examples to energise within me the determination to achieve in the last decade many State, Australian and 11 World Masters Championships. It's that same inspiration which He supplies as I lead the ministry of the Bible Society here in NSW.

It's this same passion which produces love and gratefulness for my wife Merriel and my children.
It's out of the desire to lead people to Christ that God enabled me to create the world's first electronic book and Megavoice, the talking book. With others, I am now challenged to find an extra $30 million to provide additional Scriptures for people in the former communist countries and those under the domination of Islam.

Of paramount importance is a wonderful group of God's people who love, accept and encourage me.

A well known quotation which seems to characterise my life is:
"Some people see things as they are and say why,
I see things which never were and say why not".

Let me add to that:

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".

Tom H Treseder

No comments: