Tuesday 25 November 2008

The Greatest Lesson I Ever Learned - Earl Roberts

As I entered full-time ministry in 1995 I read a book compiled by Dr Bill Bright entitled, "The Greatest Lesson I Ever Learned". It was a collection of stories from Christian leaders. It inspired me to ask various Christian leaders in Australia that I knew (or, mostly, knew of) for their story. These have been sitting in my computer for 10 years waiting for publication, but I didn't collect enough to warrant publishing them. So, I am now posting them as blogs so the stories can get out there. I trust you enjoy them as much as I do.

Geoff

Earl Roberts
Earl Roberts was a successful property developer/entrepreneur. He sold his business in New Zealand and travelled extensively in the UK and South Africa. After arriving in Australia at the age of 33 he was introduced to the person of Jesus Christ. Within 18 months he was accepted on full-time staff with Life Ministries/Campus Crusade for Christ.

Earl originally ministered as an itinerant evangelist, travelling around Australia in a van towed by a P76. He then started the work of Life Ministries in Victoria, planting a church at Warrenwood. Earl was the National Director of Campus Crusade for Christ in New Zealand for 5 years before returning to Australia and being seconded as a pastor to develop a discipleship program at Wesley Mission in Sydney.

Earl was the Australian National Director of Life Ministries/Campus Crusade for Christ - an international organisation of over 25,000 full-time staff in over 190 countries around the world.

Earl was a co-founder of NATIVE (Nationals Training Institute for Village Evangelists) in Hyderabad, India. NATIVE has an extensive church planting ministry in central India.

Earl is a keen sportsman and enjoys a game of tennis, cricket or squash.

He is married to Robyn and they have a son and a daughter.

THE PERSON AND HIS PROGRAM

When I was young I set myself the goal of becoming financially self-sufficient by the time I was thirty. I achieved this by the age of 29 and yet still felt a frustration in my life. I sold my real estate business, left New Zealand and travelled for a few years, setting up new businesses in the UK and South Africa before arriving in Australia at the age of 33.

It was then that I finally found the only thing that would satisfy my longing - a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. I discovered that this relationship was not based on anything I had done or could do, but was based solely on what God had done for me through the death of His Son on the cross at Calvary. This grace was not just a “pie in the sky when you die” promise of heaven, but a “steak on the plate while you wait” promise of abundant life. I was saved because God’s grace did not affect just a moment, but impacted a lifetime and all eternity. This truth has been foundational to all that I have learnt ever since.

Soon after becoming a Christian I attended a Life Ministries camp and learnt about the ministry of the Holy Spirit. I learnt that it is only through God’s empowering moment by moment that I am able to live the life that He has called me to live. I learnt that although sin short-circuits the power of God in my life. By the process of “Spiritual Breathing” I am able to confess my sin, accept God’s forgiveness and continue in His enabling to walk in His Spirit. I learnt that we are like the balls used for lawn bowls - we all have a bias in us that draws us off the straight path, but God has put His Spirit in us to overcome the bias and enable us to live for Him.

Within 18 months of being introduced to the person of Jesus Christ I was caught up in His program. I discovered God’s heart for the lost in this world and committed myself to helping fulfill His Commission to go into all the world and make disciples.

It was during a trip to India in 1980 that I learnt my greatest lesson since salvation. Our team had arrived in Hyderabad and I was preaching at my first Indian church that morning in a dusty village where they packed about a hundred people into a little hut. I arrived a half hour early, at 8 o’clock, to be sure I was prepared and I met an Indian man called Isaiah.

“What do you do, Isaiah?” I asked.
“I’m an evangelist,” he replied.
I said, “Good to see you’re here early”
“I came 2 hours early to pray for you, a fellow evangelist,” he responded.
I was intrigued, so I asked him what he did as an evangelist.
“Six days a week I visit villages. I leave home at 7am and walk to the village for that day. I talk to the people, hand out tracts and then walk home by 9pm.”
I asked where he lived.
“I have no house. My wife, 4 children and I live in a shanty, under a tarpaulin with corrugated iron for walls.”
“How do you support your family?” I was compelled to ask.
“I have this ‘blessing bag’,” he said showing me a canvas bag slung over his shoulder, “it has two halves. In one side I put the tracts that people like the Bible Society supply for me to give away. In the other side I put the food which people give me as I travel. Sometimes people invite me in for a meal as I visit But everyday when I come home at 9pm my family gathers for our meal of the day comprising of what God has supplied that day. I always come home with the food side full and I am blessed because God has given me a small stomach.”

“How long have you been doing this for?” I queried.
“Six years” Isaiah replied.
“And how long will you do this for?” I asked.
“Oh, Mr Roberts” Isaiah exclaimed, “you know that when God calls you to His service its total commitment for life! Not only in living, but in sharing the wonderful news of Jesus.”

I was to be preaching on commitment at the service that morning, but here God had taught me the very lesson I was to teach.

When I became a Christian I staggered at the wonder of God’s grace for me at Calvary. As I grew I discovered His empowering was sufficient to climb the hills and walk through the valleys. I discovered God’s heart for the lost. God’s program flows out of who He is. Our commitment to Him will be reflected in our commitment to His program. Like God Himself, His program is big enough to capture our vision for our whole lives. It demands the commitment of all our heart, all our soul and all our strength.

No comments: