Wednesday 8 July 2009

Seminary Experience

G'day,

A few months before I left for seminary I splurged and bought a copy of logos software. It's a pretty full-on Bible study software package that you can customise to suit your needs. It was too resource demanding to fit on my old laptop, but it runs like a dream on my new one. And I tell you, it has saved my bacon during this Hebrew intensive class.

Last week I had to write a word study on the Hebrew word: "אמן" - which is usually translated "believe". I was to look up in a concordance all the occurrences of the word, then in a lexicon all the various meanings of the word and then a theological dictionary what it all means. Well, Logos did most of that research for me in seconds. I still had to distill all the information into a paper, but Logos saved me hours of photocopying and flicking through dusty tomes.

I was so pleased that I decided to make sure the Logos registration website had my current details. I started exploring and found out there are over 10,000 books available to download and integrate into my Logos library. There are some really useful ones too... like serious commentaries, theology text books and more advanced Greek and Hebrew resources. Logos provides a discount to seminary students.

I also found out that Logos offers a $1,000 scholarship to seminary students, so I applied for that. You can find the link to the seminary scholarship at: www.seminaryscholarship.com.

They also offered me $200 if I blogged about my seminary experience and provided a link to the scholarship website above. I decided to take up their offer because there is a great set of commentaries on the NT Greek that I'd like to get.

Geoff

No comments: