Monday 1 December 2008

December Craziness

I sat down this morning to write out my "to do" list for the day. Most of us feel the craziness of the weeks leading up to Christmas. I am no different.

In his book, "How To Get Things Done", David Allen talks about some basic principles:
1) If it can be done in less than 2 minutes, do it straight away;
2) If it will take more than two minutes:
a) schedule it for a particular time; or
b) add it to a list of things to do when you have time to work on it.

I seem to have a fair amount of flexible time this week, and lots of things to try to fit in the schedule. I couldn't do any of these at 8am on Monday morning, so here is the list I came up with:

1) A ministry leader/friend (Howard) from the US is visiting this week and staying with another ministry leader/friend (Richard). Call Richard to work out when I will meet with Howard.
2) CM2009 conference needs to have major issues planned this week:
+ check on development of the online registration website;
+ post more flyers to pastors/friends of the ministry (I've already sent out 5,000);
+ call Wesley Mission to work out details for catering, venue specifications re: lighting and sound;
3) U@NU? is the SL summer project I am involved with in January. We have a meeting today. I need to re-write some training in time for the printing deadline;
4) US Green Cards. Liz has a meeting with the US Consulate in Sydney on Thursday morning to begin the process of obtaining Green Cards for Philip, Katrise and me. We need to ensure all the paperwork is completed, all the supporting documentation is gathered and completed and copied.
5) TH501: this week is the last week for my Theology course. I need to:
+ listen to the online lectures;
+ complete the extra reading;
+ contribute to the online forum discussing this week's issue.
6) Prepare for next major study exercise:
+ print John's gospel in Gk for me to write on;
+ buy technical commentary on Gk to further my understanding of John's gospel.
7) Christmas cards:
+ Write Christmas letter (and get it printed);
+ Take Christmas photo (?);
+ Compile Christmas cards
+ Post Christmas Cards
8) Write Ministry Update email & "Missionaries in Focus" blurb for church newsletter

All this has to happen around various appointments, and before I leave for a men's conference on Thursday afternoon.

I am in serious need of God's enabling grace!!

No comments: