Monday 8 September 2008

Driscoll on Sydney Evangelicalism

Last Monday Mark Driscoll spoke at a Ministry Training event for young leaders. I was hoping to go, but it was the day before my Greek exam. But I am pleased to see that at least one of his sessions has been published at the link below:

http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/insight/driscoll_18_obstacles_to_effective_evangelism/

As I read his comments I had a few thoughts:

1) I am old! Not in the "near death" sense of old, but in the "no longer young" sense of old. I could relate to his comments about his own ministry (although mine has been on a much, much, much smaller scale!). He planted a church which grew to 8,000 before his finished his theological studies. I have just handed off the leadership of the Macquarie ministry, which I spent 9 years growing and leading, in order to focus on finishing my theological studies (by the time I'm 40, hopefully, which is 2 years away).

In December 2003 I wrote an article for our Student Life leadership conference entitled, "Where are our barbarians?" which picked up many themes that Driscoll spelled out.

2) I have long been trying to lead so that our ministry engages both the mind and the heart. I agree with Driscoll that the meetings run by evangelicals in Sydney are boring. I want passion in what I engage in. But I also want substance. Why does Sydney end up being a choice between either/or rather than both/and?

Anyway, that's enough. Read the article for yourself. It's worth it.

No comments: