Sunday 17 August 2008

Reflections on Mark's Gospel - Mark 1:11

A Voice from Heaven

The three members of the Trinity are present and active at this momentous occasion - the commissioning of Jesus. The first sign at Jesus' baptism was the rending of the heavens. Then the descent of the Spirit. The third sign is the voice from the Father in heaven.

The Preacher Commentary identifies three parts to the Father's words to Jesus: "I claim you. I love you. I am proud of you." These three concepts connect with deep needs within us: to be known, to be loved and to be praised.

The Father claims Jesus as his Son. In the Old Testament, the reference to a Son is found in Psa_2:7. The great old Israelite kings anticipated the concept of the Messiah, but this Psalm expects greater things than any earthly king could deliver. "The filial intimacy and obedience that were imperfectly foreshadowed by the Israelite king are now fully completed in Jesus" (Edwards, p.37)

Isa_42:1 has some striking parallels with the language used in this verse, but applies it to "the Servant". Many scholars have identified Jesus with the Servant of Isaiah. The reference to the servant probably initially meant the people of God, the Israelites. But they failed in their mission. And so the Messiah, i.e. Jesus, became the individual who exemplified all that Isaiah's servant referred to, and was expected to do. The surprise is that the servant is actually more than a slave or a human king, he is God, the Son!

The Father expresses love for his Son. In the OT, Abraham expressed deep love for his son, Isaac when he was called to sacrifice him on Mt Moriah. The love that a father has for his son is something I can readily identify with. And this puts Jesus on a totally different level to any of the OT prophets or other servants of the Lord. Nowhere in the OT does God express love at the commissioning of a prophet as the Father does here. It points to their eternal existance in perfect love relationship as co-equal members of the Trinity.

The Father expresses His please in the Son. What is it that brings the Father pleasure? There could be two aspects:

1) The Father could be pleased (εὐδοκέω) with who Jesus is. That it, it is Jesus' being that brings the Father pleasure. The Father reflects on Jesus' perfect life, sinless nature and is able to express pleasure with him. It is like what he says in Genesis 1 when, after he completes each part of perfect creation, he says "It was good". When the Father looks at that creation presently it must cause him pain to see it labouring under the burden of the curse of the Fall. But Jesus appears, is sinless, and represents creation in all its perfection, humanity as it was supposed to be. Combined with his sinless humanity is his perfect deity. But I don't see any point in the Father expressing the joy that their divine relationship must bring through his words in this setting.

2) The Father could be pleased (εὐδοκέω)with Jesus' actions. That is, it is Jesus' doing that brings the Father pleasure. The Father has observed Jesus' humility in submitting to the baptism of John, and his identification with this radical movement that looks to prepare the way for the Messiah, and is pleased with his actions and attitudes. I think there is real value in understanding the Father's expression of pleasure as being linked directly to Jesus' act of being baptised. The timing of the voice, the inclusion of it here in each story, confirms that Jesus was carrying out the Father's will and that brought the Father pleasure, which he then expressed in audible affirmation - so that Jesus and John could hear it.

As Jesus now embarks on his earthly ministry he has received some really significant things: the Holy Spirit and the audible affirmation of his Father.

As I look to live out my relationship with God in my ministry and in my personal life, I am aware of my need for these three things. It is easy to feel insignificant and small. There are no crowds clamouring to see me. My circle of acquaintances feels fairly small. I am not imensely popular. Any desire I feel for greater celebrity is simply an indicator of a greater desire to be known by my Father. And I am known by my heavenly Father, and that is the most comforting thing of all.
I also need His love. As a Christian who has walked this way for a while, I imagine I should feel better about myself. But instead, I am very aware of my sin. I still feel the magnetic attraction of my sinful nature. It takes a conscious effort to choose God's way rather than seeking pleasure elsewhere. But God's love is very attractive. I had heard about God's love throughout my whole life, growing up in church. But when I first personally felt it, it was transforming. God's love is a powerful antidote to the addictive pleasures of this sin-soaked world.

And I look forward to receiving his praise. As in Jesus' parable, I look forward to hearing "Well done, good and faithful servant". Sometimes I feel like I will be like a dog wagging its tail in pleasure at its master's attention. And that is ok. I need to hear God express his pleasure with what I do. Any appropriate compliments or encouragement I receive here from people are simply a foretaste of the praise I really long for.

No comments: